View Single Post
      07-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Over on GCZ.com the two BMW insiders (Enilab and Scott 26) each say there's only going to be a coupe and cabrio versions off of the 1-er architecture with the cabrio preceeding the coupe in the U.S. by a couple months.

Both deny that there will be a hatchback version coming to the U.S. either in the guise of the current 5 door or the 3 door variant.

Both deny there will be a Z2 roadster, though according to Enilab there is a full scale mock-up in clay that is now on hold with no future plans to market it.

However, there is this....from LeftLaneNews.com

The cover of the latest issue of Germany's AutoBild magazine features an artist's illustration of the forthcoming BMW Z2. While we don't have specific details on the rumor, the Z2 appears to be a small roadster slotted beneath the Z4 range. In May, AutoWeek and AutoCar reported BMW was working on a new roadster called the Z2, in addition to the much-rumored Z6. While it's almost certain a smaller roadster is under consideration at BMW, we suspect it may receive a name other than Z2. As previously noted by Leftlane News, BMW published the names Z1 and Z5 for opposition at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on January 17, 2006. Regardless of its name, the new roadster looks like it will introduce some new styling cues to BMW's design language, including some unusual 3D headlamps. Update: Auto Zeitung is also reporting in its latest issue that BMW is planning a Z2 for the 2009 model year. However, the report suggests a coupe model will also be offered.
source: Leftlanenews.com

I have a bunch of reservations about these plans...for instance>
release the 1-er hatchback right away in the U.S. > 3 door/5 door...either model I would be very interested in buying.
Release the coupe 2-er first...in spite of what Enilab says about BMW's dealership's buzz about the cabrio, it's the coupe that everyone wants.
Oh, and by the way, there are leaked photos floating around on the web...not photoshops, of Volvo's production version 3- door C30 hatchback, which is coming to the U.S. in the fall of 2007.
What happened to America's alledged dislike for hatch's?

Appreciate 0