06-03-2022, 03:22 AM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
That would be really amateuristic from their engineers/designers...
I have a hard time believing that that would be the problem. I mean, they've been racing in monaco for over 90(!) years, so they know exactly how bumpy it is. Designing suspension with too little travel would be an epic fail.
If that is the case, they will certainly have the same problem in Baku.

Unless of course it isn't limited suspension travel, but just too little ride height... I mean suspension travel is dependant on the ride heigth, otherwise your floor is constantly bottoming out, resulting in disquaification.
But why too little ride height? not enough downforce from the new floor? Design flaw to solve the propoising?
No clue what the real reason is, but that's the rumbling on f1technical, apparently they are working on an upgrade to fix this for Baku but again it is speculatory.

It is ground effects era you have to try and run as low as possible to get downforce, which drops off exponentially with ride height. It isn't really dependent on how much downforce the floor makes, rather how well the floor is sealed. Because an overall high downforce producing floor can make less downforce vs. an overall low downforce producing floor at the same increased ride height if it is sealed worse. This is why I believe mclaren did pretty well in monaco, because it is known their floor is sealed very well with the immesenly powerful vortices that run along the floor, so despite them likely making less downforce vs. the top teams, the ride height increase for the street circuit dropped all the top teams down to mclarens level (who with the better sealing were able to lose less downforce). The sealing effect is probably exemplified at low speed because the air traveling over and under the floor is slower so the voritices produced are weaker. This means if a team has really weak sealing vorticies the seal gets even weaker at low speeds, further benefitting cars with better sealing. So in essence it is the combination of sealing and ride height increase that really hurts teams in terms of downforce not just ride height.