07-20-2023, 01:45 PM   #74
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Ya, that's the prb w typing/the internet, sometimes it's hard to really convey/understand one's true meaning/intention.

I'm not 'up-in-arms' about the 'actor' thing haha, I just thought that it was silly and confusing, and I guess the Academy agrees since they done away w that after a short trial run.

I'm totally cool w 'partner' or whatever, but my question was why anyone would be offended w the traditional terms in the first place...and presumably that's why this terminology was introduced as a replacement? I suppose this change makes sense for same-sex couples, but I'm not sure about others.
Ofc, as others have explained, if one is not married, then there aren't many other choices, or it may be a better alternative to bf/gf. Who knows, I'm just curious is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I don't see anyone being offended by the traditional terms except the two directly involved. I could see a 45 year old woman that has been with her boyfriend/partner for 15 years, 3 kids, a house, working on retirement planning together, a long term commitment (but not marriage) not wanting to be called "girlfriend" which is the same term that applies to the girl a 21 year old guy met last weekend.
Yeah I don't know that anyone is really offended, I think it's more of an upbringing thing for a lot of us. There are def folks out there that will be offended if you don't use what they find proper. Those are the types I can't stand and I don't have time for.

Sorry I called you ma'am, but if you look like a woman, talk like a woman, dress like a woman... well

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
David701567.00