08-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #52
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
The 70-200 f4L IS is one of Canon's very sharpest lenses, bar none. Being light is a bonus, not a primary reason to buy it. My criteria is sharpness first, but then a strong seconds is "will it suit my needs?", then comes price, etc. In this case the f4 does the trick and I don't miss the extra f-stops of the 2.8.

PNF, I just don't understand leaving your 70-200 home when you go to a baseball game or tennis match, even if it's heavy. That's one of the situations where it'll shine, although you'll need really good seats to fill the frame. (400 mm and more is really the way to go for sports). For something like that I wouldn't take my whole bag usually but I'd take the 70-200. You can sit with it in your lap most of the time and it's not really that tiring.

More and more lately I take a camera to almost every "event" I go to. I'm playing a concert in a park this evening and I'll take the 5D2 with the 24-105 f4L. I've left it home twice this year and kicked myself both times becaue of the beautiful sunset that I missed as we played. (I take shots during my rests and these very informal concerts.) I can't even think of going to the US Open and leaving the camera home.

Dave