09-23-2019, 03:34 PM   #43
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
45 here. Hope to retire or partially retire in my early 50s.

i'm currently invested heavily in S&P 500 index funds, Berkshire Class B, bond funds, and a few others. My portfolio closely follows market performance. My portfolio has grown significantly in the past 6 years, especially after getting rid of my broker and the high cost funds he had me in.

I haven't and won't be selling or moving anything. Market timing doesn't work and is shear luck. I will weather the upcoming correction, bubble, whatever just like I have for the past 25 years. I lost ~40% of my portfolio's value back in 2008-2010. I recovered all of it plus a crap ton more. Same goes for every other correction we've had since about 1995.

Time in the market and Warren Buffett's "15-minute retirement plan". That's all you need to know.
You and I are the same age and pretty much have the same thoughts and investments going on. I do keep a fair amount of cash available. It's not earning me much, but I keep about 18 months of living expenses as an emergency fund.

But I think it's more of an impact of how I grew up in an environment where if my parents even had to replace tires on their car.....it would put them in a financial bind. I will admit I'm OCD about it, but the peace of mind it does give me pays off more than if I had it tied up and not easily attainable.