View Single Post
      09-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #42
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
how old are you guys that are panicking over typical market volatility? are you about to retire?
45 here. Hope to retire or partially retire in my early 50s.

i'm currently invested heavily in S&P 500 index funds, Berkshire Class B, bond funds, and a few others. My portfolio closely follows market performance. My portfolio has grown significantly in the past 6 years, especially after getting rid of my broker and the high cost funds he had me in.

I haven't and won't be selling or moving anything. Market timing doesn't work and is shear luck. I will weather the upcoming correction, bubble, whatever just like I have for the past 25 years. I lost ~40% of my portfolio's value back in 2008-2010. I recovered all of it plus a crap ton more. Same goes for every other correction we've had since about 1995.

Time in the market and Warren Buffett's "15-minute retirement plan". That's all you need to know.