09-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #36
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I’ve been hearing correction for five years. These are people who just want to be able to say they said it first and say I told you so. No one knows what’s going to happen. If I’ve learned anything the past ten years, market speculation is much less evaluation of a true company worth but rather emotions. Look what happens when Trump sends a simple tweet. The market dives or climbs based on 140 words of jibberish that truly have no bearing the the market. You could argue his statements on tariffs and negotiating with China may be insightful but honestly most of them have turned out to be nothing burgers. I would he would just shut up and it makes me think he is playing the market for his own benefit knowing how it will react and buying/selling/shorting accordingly.
Don’t disagree with the speculation bit, and if I was in with that chunk of money I probably wouldn’t be pulling it out. Like I said, it was just random chance I pulled it for other reasons and given it was last July/Aug and the market hasn’t risen all that significantly compared to then, there hasn’t been a compelling reason to put it back in. Money market over the same period is pretty close with way less risk. Given the length of the run, trade issues, growth indicators pointing to slowing, its more about real data than some pundit’s prediction. If earnings season shows strength, I’d consider putting more back in, but if not i’ll be well positioned to pick things up at a relative discount. Still all in for retirement so it’s basically a hedge.