11-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #104
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep

Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MIKE View Post
Question. How do you know Mario Andretti purchased his Corvettes? Possibly given to him by General Motors? That would be a great endorsment for the Corvette. If he did pay for his Corvettes it's a greater endorsment. Hans Stuck, He's being paid by BMW and I'm sure lots of incentives.
I know Mario because I grew up about 20 minutes from where he lives. Over the years, I've gotten to know Larry, Mario's brother-in-law, quite well. I've gotten plenty of tickets for the Nazareth race including all-access pit passes and hospitality tent. My buddy and I were really close to traveling on Mario's private jet to one of the races, but they only had one seat available.
Yes, to answer your question, Mario did indeed purchase his Corvettes. He purchased it from a local dealership that he's been dealing with. He did get a little better deal than we could, but he did put out his own money to purchase the car. He's very pleased with it. I actually did an interview with him for the C5 Registry several years ago.
Here's the sad part - Ford wouldn't do anything for him when he wanted to purchase a new tow vehicle for the souvenir trailer, nothing. He won the Daytona 500, Indy 500 and the F1 title using Ford power and they wouldn't do anything.