View Single Post
      05-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #23
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
The bikes I'm looking at are the KTM Duke 390 (seems to be the favorite of this group by a mile), BMW G 310 R, and the Honda CB500F. All are about 4-5k in newish (or very new in the ktm and bmw) condition.

Does anyone have experience with any of these bikes? Can they be comfortable enough for a 40 minute ride? I'm leaning towards the bmw, because, well, bmw. But I don't want to regret the decision immediately.

This isn't about fun, it's about saving 5 hours a week of my life. Any info greatly appreciated!
I would find it hard to find fault with any of those choices. All solid bikes and great for a novice. As others have said the KTM is a bit compact. I'm 5'11 and found it a little awkward and cramped but totally do-able. But then again I often ride the wife's Honda Monkey so I guess I'm dialed in for small bikes.

I see folks saying you need a bigger bike with more power. That's BS. Any of those bikes has more than enough power to get you into serious trouble if that's your inclination. Ride all 3 back to back and see which one resonates with you. All 3 are quality choices.

Oh, and for the lane splitting debate, man, do what you want but you wouldn't catch me doing it in any traffic that isn't at a dead stop.