DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-T View Post
Funny, Lexus sells so well in the US and you can't give them away here. Assumption is overpriced Corolla...
Because they are an overpriced Corolla.
Wait I have a long list from someone who told me why. Wanna find it...

Got it...

Me: Everytime I get onto the Forums and see a Lexus thread I get so amazed...because down here you can't give them away. They're assumed to be overpriced Corollas, and the dealerships are always next to a Toyota one. In the US they sell so well, though. Makes me wonder if the marketing strategy is just wrong then? A mate brought an ISF and he kept getting roasted, because most Uber cars here are Corollas. One day he drove up to a BBQ and someone asked, "hey, didn't know Uber drivers join in on the meal?" Last time we saw that car-enter the M3.

Response Dude 1: Sounds like South Africans don't like Toyotas or anything related to them.

Yep some Lexi such as the ES are warmed over Toyotas but there are several Lexus lines that are unique to the brand -- in the US at any rate. IS, GS and LS are all unique to Lexus. The fact that they share some components with Toyota is seen in the US as a testimonial to their probable reliability, and in fact Lexus is the most reliable brand in several consumer surveys. Luxury + reliability sells here.

Me: Toyotas sell the most here-only VW outsells them. They've been in the country for years and are loved by all. Their vans/trucks as called over there are by far the most selling. The problem is just Lexus. Seems to be a symbol to buy German, the belief is by buying a Lexus, you in an overpriced Corolla. I've seen what an ISF can do, and it's got some nice bits-but it's just nowhere close to my M.

Amusing how many wouldn't touch a Golf but would buy an Audi, wouldn't touch aN Audi but drive a Porsche. All boils down to preference, me thinks. Would you choose a Lexus over a German Marque for exact same price?
Edit QUOTE

eggwoll 03:22 AM 05-08-2016
The GS350 is a solid vehicle. Well built, beautifully appointed interior, surprisingly amazing driving dynamics for a vehicle of its size, and reliability that will stand the test of time. Only downside is the NAV/UI but that has been improved on the 2016+ models. I used to own an IS350 with the same 2GR-FSE engine in the GS; clocked almost 140K miles on that car with 0 issues in my ownership experience.