cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBuggy View Post
When your optometrist says it is time for cataract surgery.

Been struggling with the night time driving, headlight glare is just miserable and the long distance vision is blurry. The glasses just aren't cutting it anymore even with new prescription.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Mine was through my wife's medical insurance and I had a small copay.

I've worn glasses since I was 15. Now my vision is 20/25 and I hardly wear glasses.

They have new lenses these days and I hear they work really well. The OP here, cmyx6go, had it done not too long ago. Maybe she'll chime in.

Hope it's covered by your insurance.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PS - wearing glasses doesn't really bother me either but I like hardly needing them these days.
I had both eyes done last year. I have mixed feelings on the results. I too was blinded by the light. Headlight glare was a big issue. I also had issues during the day with bright lights. Another issue was the fog during the day. I felt like everything was a grey cloud. The edges of things were no longer clear.

I have worn contact lenses for 30+ years for distance. As I got older, my close up vision started to go so my prescription got complicated. As they adjusted the close up vision, the distance suffered. I could have opted for glasses instead of lenses but the shallow bitch in me preferred contacts. Eventually I also needed readers.

Anyway, I chose the surgery with the multifocal lens replacement. It cost me about $8K total for both eyes. Insurance only covered the surgery and the anesthesia. They did not cover the lenses. I can't find the breakout of what they actually paid. It must be home and not in my file here at work where it belongs.

Results -
The good - I no longer feel like I'm living in a grey world. There is more light getting into my eyes. The vision correction worked well. No more contacts and I only need readers if I'm reading something ridiculously small.

The bad - Although the glare has reduced, I now see halos around lights at night. If I am approaching a traffic light, I see the green but it now has a green circle around the light. Same thing with headlights. The doctor said it would wear off after my brain adjusted to the change when I went for my first follow up visit. It has not. I just had a visit last week. Doctor said I was the first person ever to have this issue. My luck I guess. It's not debilitating, just annoying. If I had to do it all over again knowing the results, I'd probably still do it.

I hope this helps. I will see if I can find how much insurance paid but obviously your plan will vary. I believe they pay for basic lenses but not the multifocal ones I chose.

Last edited by cmyx6go; 05-11-2022 at 06:39 AM..
rcracin1242.50
TSII1978.50
Esteban43590.50