Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
I placed a deposit on an Emira about 9 months ago. Was impatiently waiting for these reviews/first drives. All the reviews have been mixed and left me on the fence. I guess most of that placed deposit last year was expecting stellar reviews: on par with 718 GTS if not better, and along with that sexy looks. My backup option is a GTS 4.0. Will have to drive the Emira once demos are available at dealerships and make final decision (also waiting for Chris Harris's take on it). To be honest, most of these reviews have just been first drives and not really reviews. It's not where it's been driven on a track hard and then cruise around town. Will have to wait a bit longer for additional data points.
I have no dog in this fight, but I think the Lotus might be priced a little too close to the GT4 (which is the pinnacle) when you really option it out. And personally I'd never even consider the 4 pot.

The only Lotus I've ever driven is an Evora S. I was so curious to see what Lotus' was all about and I came away kind of lukewarm as well, especially considering the price. Kind of like the EVO review said, the engine is super nice (especially when people say it's "just" a Toyota engine), but it's no Porsche 4L. What I was most disappointed in was the gearshift, it's not even on the same planet as any of the Porsche gearboxes, yet alone the 6MT in the GT4. I will say though, the Evora got so much attention during the test drive, so I'm sure the Emira will do the same.

I think your approach is correct, you just have to drive both of them to get a good feel.
Emira is about $15-20k less than than GT4. It's more in alignment with GTS 4.0. Performance numbers are on par with GTS as well. It's definitely nowhere near GT4's performance. I have considered a GT4 but it's too track focused and loud for me. GTS is a solid option but will decide after test drive. I was hoping Emira's performance was higher than what they published but it is what it is. Perhaps there will be an S or GT version but that's likely 2024-2025.