11-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #222
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapakanichi View Post
First and foremost; Thank you for raising your hand to protect us. You put yourself in the line of fire everyday. I appreciate it.

Alright now thats over with....

How often when pulling over a vehicle, that you want to search, does the occupant refuse to allow you?

I mean asking to see a warrant. Also how often does that work? I tried it and the LEO asked if I wanted him to phone the judge at 1 in the morning, I should have said yes.

Also what exactly is "probably cause" these days.

Thank you for the supportive words.

I recommend that everybody exercise their 4th Amendment rights. With that said, an officer who knows his case law can find a way into a vehicle much of the time. In addition, if an officer decides to arrest you, tow the vehicle, and/or the driver is on parole or probation with search conditions, that vehicle will be searched.

An officer doesn't need a warrant in all cases, although Arizona v. Gant states that we shall try to obtain a warrant when possible. A seasoned officer can articulate his way into your vehicle.

"Probable Cause" is what it has always been. I think what you meant to ask was, "What is Reasonable Suspicion these days?"......as RS is articulated from the vantage point of an officer, and it will vary.