09-19-2021, 08:22 AM   #11
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Friend of mine picked up a low-mileage CPO VW Jetta Wagon in 2019 with a manual transmission. IIRC he paid around $14K for it. So it was one of the VW buybacks that was reprogrammed. I rode in it for the first time a few weeks ago. I was impressed by the speed it accelerated at; being diesel I thought it would be slow. Once out of warranty he plans on flashing it and putting a sport suspension in it. Overall MPG is around 40 all Northern VA suburban traffic.

He tried to convince me to get a similar sedan/wagon when VW had a lot of the buyback manuals in inventory. It wouldn't have been a bad choice, now that I've been in one.

Silver lining perhaps.
Late model Touareg TDIs with lots of miles command good prices. Fuel economy is in the 30s for a mid-size SUV with 7,000 lbs towing capacity. It's an excellent vehicle. I ran a Touareg TDI for 238k miles, then sold it back to VW under Dieselgate for a handsome (to me) price.

Good acceleration and fuel economy for the Jetta TDI wagon is believable, the VW TDIs of the early 2000s and 20teens are the best diesels to come to the US market.
Efthreeoh17277.50