Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW 540

Garage List
2019 BMW 540  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliiin View Post
This resonates me a bit. I am an ABC in my early 30s and didn't take the traditional Asian route, either. I was supposed to go to grad school after finishing my bachelor's degree but decided to become a professional poker player. Quite the polar opposite of a "prestigious career" (doctor, lawyer, engineer). It will never be a "real job" to them, even if I made 100 million a year.

Show them you are self-sufficient and happy with your life. That's all you can do. You won't be able to change the culture and traditions they have engrained into their mindset. Asian parents will always find something to harp on, nothing is ever enough. They mean well, but at the end of the day, it's your life... live it how you want.

You're still young and have time to figure things out. Have a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, and even Plan D. It's okay to fall flat on your face in your 20s. You aren't married or have kids so don't feel like there's a timeline. Go at your own pace, you'll figure it out.

Like wtwo3 said, learn how to tune it out and let them talk
My plan is to save a bit of money and possibly buy a townhouse. Either rent the whole thing out or live in one room and rent the other.

I want to own a few investment properties down the road. I've got a few thousands invested in stocks. Doing good with stocks so far