View Single Post
      11-18-2015, 11:14 PM   #57
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Actually, I don't imagine that because I don't care. Leaf springs are an absolute deal breaker for me.

IOW: I don't care how fast, composed, nimble, mind- or crotch-blowing, etc. a car is if it has leaf springs, because I don't want to own a car with an inherently limited and inferior suspension design that only suits non-driven hubs and (barely) live axle applications and dates to the 19th century -- and that is now commonly used almost exclusively for heavy-load applications (trucks, trailers ... locomotives!!!).

There's a reason for that last part -- actually, two reasons: It's all but maintenance free for the life of the vehicle no matter what its intent, and it's comparatively cheap to produce.
First of all it isn't leaf springs. It is one composite leaf spring, that runs transvere. It is at the lowest point and presses against lower control arms. It has nothing to do with live rear axles or truck suspensions. The rear suspension is true double wishbone setup. They continue with this setup one because it works very well and its low center of gravity. Combined with world class leading magnetic ride, C7 suspension is one hell of a package.