View Single Post
      11-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
BradZDestroyer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Xdrive

Oil filter too tight

After letting my car sit a few days, I finally found time to check an oil leak... It's the oil filter seal. Apparently the non-bmw dealership where I bought the car, tighten the oil filter about 1/4 inch past the green line... The seal lasted a few days, before it started spitting oil everywhere. I'm taking my car 75 miles to the BMW service center on Tuesday morning for the 35k service, but I'm getting close to the minimum oil level now. My question, should I go ahead and change the filter (if I can get it off) or just add oil? I'm worried bmw will not want to cover any parts that may fail, like the alternator or pulleys, since it's not their fault if its directly related to the oil. The bmw tech said "it should all be covered" but punctuated the "should" very clearly. So, my 2013 328i that I've not even had a month... May already have a void warranty at no fault of my own. So I'm pretty stressed out. I would hate to change the filter and then take the blame from the original dealer or bmw. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0