View Single Post
      11-01-2022, 07:34 AM   #15747
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
OK, here's one that's a bit out there...

In 1973, when stationed in Okinawa, Japan as a sailor, I discovered Okinawan folk music. Americans were unloved by the Okinawans -- loud, rich, boisterous, etc. But I ventured out, prompted by my interest in the music to some Okinawan bars. In particular the bar owned by or featuring the depicted woman. And, despite not speaking more than a few words of Japanese, I managed to buy a few 45-rpm records of Okinawan music, which are among my treasured possessions. Anyway, I know of no way to get the music from a 45-rpm record to this thread, so a photo will have to suffice.

While the sole American in an otherwise-crowded Okinawan bar, I would try to keep a low profile and nurse a Scotch but on one occasion, an older Okinawan gentleman approached me. I think he was an employee on one of the American bases, so had some English and he asked me if I liked the music, to which I enthusiastically replied that I did. We ended up having a few drinks together, and even (after a few or more drinks) dancing to the music. Great stuff that is a fond memory almost 50 years later.

youtube.com/watch?v=FHLAKV4LD_M&t=164s
Attached Images