View Single Post
      12-06-2019, 01:38 AM   #26
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Your logic effectively bans risky behavior. So tell us: Who defines such behavior? Laws almost never do specifically. Why? Because they can't.

Sorry, but if someone builds a tall building, someone's going to wanna try to climb it. Spider-man is a manifestation of this fantasy. Tightrope walkers are another. Henry's, the Wallenda clan, etc. are proof. Again: It is human nature to dream, and to push limits.

I get where you're coming from. That said: Hooning about in rural America is more dangerous to yourself than to anyone else. I see that you're in the U.K. Come visit, and see for yourself. I've driven on roads in my home state (Texas) on which I've not encountered another car for 50 miles -- and I've experience similar isolation in several other places here.

No, plainly you're not. It's one thing to do 150-plus in a metro area, even if you're a skilled driver. That's risky (so you do 100 -- which, when others are likely doing 80ish, isn't that much faster). It's another to do that in areas that have a population density only comparable to the Alps, Lapland, or Iceland in Europe.

On this, we can agree.
So they only broke the speed limit when there was nobody else around? The article said that's not the case.

Climbing a tall building (presumably without protection) is a selfish thing to do, regardless of whether or not there's a risk of harming a bystander. Alex honnold is incredible, but he is selfish. Ask his mom, ask his girlfriend. The flip side is he'd probably go insane if they stopped him... Whichever way, at least the risk to people who aren't connected with him is utterly minimal.

I agree it's difficult to define risky in all situations. So I don't think all risks should be banned. However, there is a set of guidelines on risks on the road - they're called laws. Doing over the speed limit? You're increasing the risk to yourself *and/or those around you* to an unacceptable level, as defined by a group of people who have considered it initially, and society in general who accept these limits.

Let me ask you this: you're driving along at 30 in a 30 limit, and a 5yo kid steps out right in front of you. Nothing you can do about it. No time to evade it. You flatten them; dead on the spot. It's devastating, and a nightmare situation, but you were doing nothing outside of the laws which society accepts....... Now imagine the same event, but you were doing 40 in the 30 zone, just for a kick. How would you feel about your actions then?

I'd love to come to the US and visit some of your wide open spaces. The UK is vastly overcrowded (though I'm happy with EU and other immigration). I'm originally from the Scottish highlands, which overall is the least densely populated area in the UK...I miss the solitude a lot. It's true that if I was to intentionally speed anywhere, I'd do it as far away from people as possible (not very far, compared with the US), but it's still indefensible, morally and legally.