United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
14 is the first year of the Mk7, which is about 150 pounds lighter than the Mk6 and has fully defeatable stability control.

I debated a new Mk7 SE vs a Mk6 R before buying my SE. I now have a second one after the earlier one met an early, unusual death.

The R is a little quicker, although not as much as the power would suggest, but the ones I've driven feel less eager to rev than the GTI and just slightly dulled overall.

Be aware that Mk7 clutches are very weak. If you tune, you'll need a new clutch relatively quickly. The Neuspeed box doesn't have a low torque setting, but APR does. Definitely use that until you get a better clutch.

The sunroof absolutely squeaks, but it's nice to have and larger than the average car in this category. I hate sunroofs but like having this one. Tartan seats are nice. My first one had pleather and it was nothing special.

It's a great daily, a better clutch, a tune and a set of decent tires and I really haven't missed having a faster, rwd car. If some one builds a 3,000 pound, rwd, manual sedan/hatch I'd leave the GTI camp in a second, but no one's going to do that.

Probably worth noting that the Mk8 goes into production in a few months, Mk7 values will drop once that happens. Just as they did when VW USA doubled the warranty on 18 and on models.
I appreciate u thoughts here, very good points!
It's true that I can find GTI mk7 cheaper than Golf R mk6!

would love to have all wheel drive as well but I already have one if needed!

curious if I should wait few more months to see how the mk7 prices will change after mk8 announcement!