View Single Post
      04-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #2219
Murf993
Major
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Agreed! Your car stands out, for better or for worse, especially to a car guy in uniform. I would notice you too.......partially because I'm a car guy/BMW driver, but even more so because one of my best friends died while driving his E30 (...R.I.P. Andy; head on collision with an ER nurse who fell asleep). He might've lived had he been in his E46 M3. You never know why some things will stand out to people.
So in Canada, the police can stop any vehicle to check that the driver is licensed, has proper registration and insurance. We also have this thing called "the judges rules" which stem from common law. Essentially the police can ask you just about anything, you don't necessarily have to answer but posing the question "what are you doing here" etc. isn't illegal or wrong.

Cars that are modified often get extra attention, I stopped cars often just to have a closer look, sometime chat with a fellow car guy about his car, other cops aren't car guys and might have a particular interest in modified cars because they have a bias (rightly or not) about modified cars and the folks that drive them. None of this is wrong or illegal, so the notion that a driver is stopped for no good reason may be more perception than reality.
Sedan_Clan25107.50
mahalom3163.00