09-23-2019, 07:02 AM   #4664
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
gents, got a question for you

the first girl i had a thing with on campus painted me something, and i've been hanging it up at my apartments/dorm ever since. today the frame fell (dont get the cheap alternative to comand strips), and i saw the date on the back again after a LONG time: december 2016

ive kept on hanging it because it's a painting and i like how it looks, but i'm also torn between holding on to something that was given to me with that context, almost 3 years ago. stuff ended roughly 2-2.5 years ago too, and so much stuff happened over that time i just don't feel like getting a new frame.

should i just find a new painting?
I still have a few things that ex's gave to me in my home. It all depends on the item, the relationship I had with the person, how it ended and how it makes me feel when I see the item. If it causes me emotional strife when I look at it, it isn't worth keeping around. Two scenarios here: The ex-wife (the crazy, adulterous, narcissistic one) "made" me a picture of an owl and framed it for Valentine's Day years ago. She stated that she drew it and painted it for me. She did not. It was a page cut out of a coloring book that she did paint with water colors that maybe took 10 minutes to do as it was all painted with the same color.....black. So many metaphors here. I keep it as reminder of who she was, a liar and a terrible dark person. It doesn't make feel angry when I look at it, but it does remind me to be careful of the people that I allow in to my life. Item 2 was a hand hammered cross that came from a metal worker at a Catholic church in New Mexico. A gift from the same person. I collect weird religious items from varying religions because I don't really believe in any of them. I have hand made prayer bowls, prayer flags, beads, etc. The cross she bought for me while on a trip she made out there. I found out later that she had slept with a friend of mine the same week she came back and gave me the cross. Looking at that evoked emotions, so I got rid of it.

If the painting doesn't bring negative feelings or thoughts, keep it. As an artist myself, it's kind of a slap in the face when we devote time and put ourselves into something, especially when created for a person specifically, that doesn't appreciate it enough to keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
Break the wrist, walk away.

Break the wrist.

Walk away
That's pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Depends on how much you like the painting. I still got shit that past women I've dated bought for me. It's amazing when they have money....and just show up with...oh I picked this up today for you hoping to score points.

But all that was materialistic. A painting is a lot deeper, someone invested some thought into that.

I had a similiar scenario. I had one that a girl did for me that was very nice. It wasn't framed until I found it when moving. I had it nicely framed and have it hanging in my office now.

One....it's a conversation piece....Two......who knows if she doesn't get famous one day as she was really talented. If so.....I have an original early work of hers!!
This.

I get random messages, on occasion, from old friends, former girlfriends and whatnot of artwork that I made for them. It always makes me smile to know that they have kept those things for all these years. It also reminds me of who I was back then, where I was mentally, emotionally and reminds me of where I was when I created it. Almost like a time capsule of memories that I had forgotten of my own life.
Rmtt8206.00