View Single Post
      09-17-2021, 08:59 AM   #35039
Murf993
Major
Rep

Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Back in the late 60s when Datsun was trying hard to make inroads into the US they got the bright idea that they needed more US friendly fastener sizes so US mechanics didnt need a metric tool set to work on their cars. Rather than change all the fasteners they simply left the threads metric and changed the heads to SAE. Fast forward 40 or 50 years and of course people have lost fasteners n the course of doing repairs and simply replaced them with regular old metric from the hardware store, thus creating a metric/SAE nightmare. My 69 Datsun Roadster required a complete set of SAE and a complete set of metric to do any sort of work on it.
When we switched to Metric in Canada I was in primary school so learned both systems, I primarily think in Imperial but can go back and forth easily. I do remember my dad being really pissed though because they went from selling gas by the gallon to the litre and I don't think they changed the price to compensate, almost 4X more to fill the tank. I get a little screwed up when I go drive to the US, your gallon is smaller than an imperial gallon and then the difference in the dollar. But your booze and beer is cheap so it's all good.
vreihen1615280.00
shoei7779.00
DETRoadster11462.50
Buug95917414.00