SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
:

If that is the enthusiast/bone for the core audience car, then they clearly do not know their audience.
Maybe the audience is changing, and BMW is just a few years ahead of anything else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
No I firmly believe the i8 was a technical exercise. No the 1series was the enthusiasts bone, and they canned it before they even really tried to market it properly. It just didn't do as well as the beloved 3 series. It's all about money. Now they are pushing the 2 series, which they feel being closer to the 3 series is worth trying to sell.

Cant tell you how many dealerships I called that didnt even know what the 1 series was when I was shopping. Luckily my local guys did and I had a test drive in a DCT model to convince myself.

What does that mean? Well, when a dealership doesn't even know about a whole car, it means ultimately BMW didn't care to make sure they knew about it. It was expected to be a failure off the bat.
4 years ago, I drove a 2010 6MT 135i that belonged to a relative. It was the first time I drove a performance-oriented BMW. I fell in love with that car, but ultimately ended up in an M3, two years after that incredible driving experience. I only tell you that to let you know how much I appreciate your car, and that it gets my heart racing like few other other things. However, times are changing. I suspect the i8 and subsequent variants will ultimately be able to way more wicked/fun things than "traditional" BMWs that we know and love today.