04-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #62
hooligan_COLD
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep

Drives: '15 X1 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Sounds mandatory.
What "sounds mandatory"? Us having a right to know if our very highest leadership might be beholden to foreign powers and influences?

Quote:
How far would this go? Would this extend to family members? Businesses where he/she owns substantial control? Charitable organizations? How far down the political totem pole would these mandatory disclosures go? State Governors? Senators? Congress people? Mayors? School board members? Union leaders? Non-profit executives?
Again, not sure where you're getting "mandatory" disclosures from. Do I think it's a good idea for politicians to release their tax returns? Yes, I do.

How far does it go? The heretofore established norms seem fine to me. Although, I will grant you that the increasingly global economy presents challenges that simply weren't a concern back in the days of, say, Teddy Roosevelt.

Quote:
What if the improper relationship between a candidate or elected official isn't monetary? What if the relationship is based on common goals... Like say, a congressperson or President is leveraged by a foreign special interest group? Should these relationships also have to be revealed?
Common goals should be plainly obvious based on the politician's stances/positions, no?

Quote:
Funny that people were ridiculed when concerns were/are raised about foreign contributions and personal compensation to the Clintons.
Not me.