View Single Post
      09-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #43
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
Thats not all that impressive. 12.2@117 could have easily been 11.7 with the same trap. I did 11.91@115 in my 5300lb+ Jeep SRT8, with just 530hp, thanks to its AWD, and similar times with my X5M (though with 100hp more). With my CTS-V though, I couldn't get the power down and the times suffered, even though she trapped at over 120mph. Breaking traction at 100mph tends to do that.

Look at the Hellcat. 707hp yet the times are barely better than the 580hp ZL1. It can't launch or use first gear because its only got power to 2 wheels. Yet the much less powerful GT-R and 911 Turbo put down better times. AWD FTW.

BTW, can't really compare the RS5 to the 507 edition C63. Its got 57 less hp and gobs less torque. AWD can't make make up for an inferior engine, which the 4.2 most certainly is.

Its come to a point where tires technology simply hasn't kept up with engine tech. Engines make way more power than just 2 tires can effectively put down. Hell, last night my 750 squealed all 4, and I wasn't even hard on the gas. Until tire tech catches up, AWD will be considered a must have on performance cars. AMG put it on their more expensive cars because I thought they realized that, and maybe on those cars they did. Perhaps they're making the C63 for hooligans who don't care about real performance and are just interested in making smoke. Thats pretty much what high powered 2wd cars on street tires do best.

Just my $0.10.
You've had an impressive array of high-performance vehicles!

I know several folks that have hit the high 11s (11.8-9) in stock* C63s (*with drag radials).

Personally, I disagree that AWD is a must-have on modern "performance" cars. Proper driving techniques and proper tires can make up for the lack of all-wheel traction.

Sure, AWD makes it easier (in some respects) to track a car on street tires at a road course. I still prefer a car with a tendency to oversteer over one with a tendency for understeer.

Out of curiosity, what are you thoughts on the new M3/M4 then? Or the new Corvette Stingray? Too much power and torque since they're both RWD platforms?
Gone: '18 W205 C43 Sedan
Gone: '13 W204 C63 Sedan