08-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #3887
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I play trumpet in several orchestras and bands. Last Saturday the concert band I play in gave a "Childrens Concert" in the City Center Park in Highland Ranch, Colorado. I take my 5D MkII to these events and find that I get a lot of shot opportunities from perspectives that many photographers don't get. The band uses them in publicity material and the members sometimes download shots of themselves for personal use.

I like this clarinet player's pose and the color in her costume and the detail in the clarinet itself. I used the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS at 67mm, f/7.1, ISO 800 and 1/60-second. Remember, I "expose right" (+1EV here) and pull levels down in RAW conversion. People trying to shoot this at ISO 100 or 200 shoot themselves in the foot. They're trying to avoid noise, but they have to open so wide that the lose DOF or underexpose. I make +EV my number one priority, then DOF and let the ISO fall where it may. You can pixel-peep if you like over at Flickr, but noise will not be an issue.

There's always a clown... by dcstep, on Flickr

I use a lot of square crops for internet posting. I think it makes it easy to focus on a strong subject. Either landscape or portrait would have had too much extraneous info for my taste.