Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
I noticed that and figured you were using the 500. I have the "DOF" but the pixel peeping "zone of sharp" up close tends to be ~ 1/4" at best.

I will shoot like this also. I have noticed that if I press halfway down and then shoot vs bumping then shooting the focus keeper is better. Hopefully that isn't the way with the 5/7D.
I think I'll try the high ISO, thank you.
The 7D is quick, so you "bump" only when you're certain you're on target, olest it very quickly grabs onto some BG. If you hold the shutter down and the bird moves away, which hummers do quite often, then the camera will grab focus on the BG. When I do finally release the shutter I'll always initially stop at half way down to make sure both the AF and IS are up to speed. If you just push through half-way fast enough, you'll catch the IS spinning up and that'll cause shake and OOF condition.

With my 70-200mm at 200mm, with the 1.4x TC and the 25ET I'll still have a 1/4 to 1/2" at f/8. That's enough IF you get the eye in focus. Anyway, if you're at f/8 or f/11 and still only have a 1/4", then you might move back a foot and plan on cropping in post. That'll give you more DOF and still result in decent IQ after processing.

Remember, most viewers don't pixel-peep. I Preview full screen. If there's going to be cropping, then I zoom into the approximate crop to make sure I have enough pixels on the subject so that the most important element will be sharp, even after the image is viewed full-screen. If the eye, for instance, is super sharp, then everyone forgives the OOF area.

The gold standard is to get 90% or more of the animal in focus, along with ancillary things, like the flower in the case of my hummingbird shot. When you get that, then it's the ideal that we all strive for.

Dave