View Single Post
      07-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #3687
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
Rep

Drives: 2012 X5 d,2008 335i, 2000 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
Can't believe Weebl caught the tag!!! he must have been staring at the picture for a while i guess.
If I find a shot that technical comments have been raised and I like the shot, I will study it for a bit before posting.
and I do like how that looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
My example above was about 20-feet away with the 500mm. If you look at the back wing in the Original size, you can see that it's OOF. IF, big if, you can get the eye in focus and, better yet, with a light in it, all else is forgiven.

I keep shooting even when they're on the other side of the flower, knowing that they'll soon move and I may get a lucky shot during the move. I click off one at a time and keep the focus on them by "bumping" the AF and then shoot a burst when they move or approach a flower in my clear view. You can use a tripod, but I find that hand held gives me the highest keeper rate.

Dave
I noticed that and figured you were using the 500. I have the "DOF" but the pixel peeping "zone of sharp" up close tends to be ~ 1/4" at best.

I will shoot like this also. I have noticed that if I press halfway down and then shoot vs bumping then shooting the focus keeper is better. Hopefully that isn't the way with the 5/7D.
I think I'll try the high ISO, thank you.
2000 740i-Annalisa (sold 2018) 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC 2012 X5d in Sparkling Bronze ( The Ultimate Cat Carrying Machine)-RIP BMW buyback 2019:2017 A3, 2018 Audi SQ5