United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
Dave,
I've sat in front of my house trying to get one of the Annas and none come close to this. Excellent shot.
I made the mistake of clicking on your Flickr and looking at your "interesting shots". Note to self, visit Dave, kidnap him and hold him for ransom from Getty images. I hope you submit some of those to magazines, you really need to share them with the world.
Kevin, thanks for looking at my Flickr site. Yes, I've gotten few pix in use at Cornell Ornithology Lab and some other sites with my permission. I've entered just a couple of contests, but I plan to scale that up.

About your Annas, did you take 200 to 300 shots with the light behind you? That's been one key that I've found to getting images like this, with the light in the eye, super focus, great colors and super bokeh. With hummers I shoot some with a "slower" speed, like 1/800th and some like this at over 1/3000th. I think both produce equally interesting images.

With these little guys, they move so much in and out and behind twigs, etc. that a bunch will be out of focus. With the light behind you you'll get the best feather detail and good possibility of an eye light. Anyway, with wildlife the "keeper ratio" is important. Don't shoot like you're doing scenics or family portraits and try to make each one perfect. Realize that the perfect pose will likely be something that you can't see with the naked eye.

Keep trying.

Dave