07-13-2020, 10:30 PM   #10
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
As I shop for a house I'm meeting more and more people who swear they'll never buy a house because their investments pull more than a house would appreciate, or because it's just too much of a hassle, whatever.

I'm pretty set on having an asset I can rent out if need be, that is highly likely to appreciate by a 6-figure amount, in a desirable area, so I can have my own garage for my car and do what I want with the place without worrying about losing a deposit or whatever.

How about the rest of you? Do you own? Rent? Rent for now but plan to own when able?
Depending on your circumstances, they are right - for me, owning a house was a "bad" investment. I could have made 10x as much if I left it in the investment I had.

However, there are intangible benefits that you cannot get with renting. A degree of permanence for starters. Replacing the garage doors with high lift versions to install a 4 post lift. Putting in a pool at the back. Things you wont get unless you search for the "perfect" rental.