Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
If BMW takes this platform Electric it can be RWD or AWD.
RWD FAAR EVs can happen in principle, but I still think it is unlikely. The platform supports AWD, so obviously you can put power through the rear wheels, but the chassis was not designed with RWD-first applications in mind. If you look at the way rear suspension is engineered for a small RWD-first vehicle architecture and compare it to the rear suspension of a small FWD-first architecture, the former typically has a stiffer subframe, more stout control arms, beefier half shafts, etc.

It can all be retrofitted to FAAR at a cost, yes, but I am not so sure it makes sense given that this platform's useful life is probably only til the end of next decade. It won't be used for the next generation of MINI vehicles set to arrive starting in 2023, and it is quite possible that the next generation X1 and X2 (which will be fine with FWD/AWD electric drive) and next generation 1 Series sedan will be the last BMW FAAR products.
Well if BMW wants to perform against Tesla's Model 3, they better pull out a wildcard fast...

And I mean really fast, because Tesla is absolutely killing it.