Bruce_SC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Truck

Modesta Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGN370 View Post
Hello all,

I thought I would share my experience with these two paint protection products in case any of you were thinking of applying it on your vehicle. These views are only my experience, and I have no affiliation whatsoever with either product (or any other automotive products).

In June this year, my wife and I placed an order for two brand new cars:
1. BMW X1 (F48) in BSM
2. BMW M2 (LCI) in BSM

The X1 arrived in August and I wanted to get some paint protection done to make it easier to clean and preserve the paint. I didn't know much about paint protection at first (I knew enough not to buy the one the dealer was offering) and did some research. After trawling the internet for an eternity, I finally settled on Opticoat Pro Plus since it was a reputable brand and was offered by an installer that got favourable customer reviews.

After installation my initial impression was that it was a mild improvement in aesthetic terms, but I figured the benefits would come during maintenance. After about 3 months of ownership, I can report that it is slightly easier to remove dirt during washing, but the dirt doesn't exactly "slide off" like the promotional material would have you believe. It is certainly easier than no coating at all, but to get the dirt to slide off I need to use my foam canon to pre-soak. This makes it significantly better. FWIW, the full install including wheels was $900 (AUD).

About 2 months later, the M2 arrived. Given my experience with the X1, and knowing that I would be keeping the M2 a lot longer, I decided to splash out and get a more expensive coating. Initially, I thought about Pompanazzi, but the maintenance requirements were onerous (I had to take it back to the installer 4 times a year for a refresh - screw that!).

I decided on getting Modesta for the M2. The product I got was a dual coat BC-03 and BC-05. It was more expensive ($2,000 AUD), and I had to leave the vehicle with the installer for several days. The product was applied on the body and glass, with a slightly different product (BC-06 I think) for the wheels.

When I got the car back, it looked incredible. Aesthetically, Modesta is miles ahead of Opticoat. The BSM just popped out and it looked as though the paint was still wet. However, the real benefit came in maintenance. The dirt just slides off the Modesta. I find that a clean with pre-soak and rinse off is all I need (obviously I never stop there). The only exception is the wheels, which are still as annoying to clean as ever.

So in summary, the Modesta is more expensive but definitely worth it. It looks much better, and maintenance is much easier. Neither product really helps with the wheels (brake dust is always an issue with new cars). My recommendation is spend the extra and get Modesta.

It will be interesting to see how the products stand up against each other in 2 years time. Interested to hear if anyone else is in that position.

I would post pictures but I don't know that it really helps unless I cut a piece off each car and place them next to each other in the same light (which I won't be doing!).

Hope this helps someone with their decision.
Great write up. Thanks for the review.

Bruce
Appreciate 0