View Single Post
      02-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #90
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
I understand your point and don't like to draw conclusions before first-hand experiences, but I can make that point with a fair amount of confidence because of where I live. Chicago roads are bad enough that the M3 is pushing right at the limits of how stiff I can go with an acceptable level of comfort. in better parts of the country (with smoother roads and less winter weather), this car very well might make for an enjoyable daily driver, but not here. I have two garage spaces - one for the wife's family SUV and one for me. I couldn't make this car my only car - there would be too many occasions where I'd have to arrange alternate transportation.
Brosef I am in the same boat as you. I live in DC and I can only have one assigned parking spot in my condo's underground garage. So that means I can only have 1 car really and I even have to pay extra per month for my parking spot. Therefore, I am wondering about the viability of a Cayman GT4 in a rough city like DC. I assume that DC is just as bad as Chicago is with the sheer number of insane potholes and bad wintery weather. I am barely getting by with my M5 and winter tires on these horrible streets. What makes the GT4 appealing though is the usability of it's performance on the street and overwhelming capability on a track. Like Chicago, DC has no mountains nearby for canyon driving and the closest open country is no less than 2 hours away for me, this makes enjoying a high horsepower car extremely difficult. The only other alternative is to go to the track, which a car like an M5, RS7, Panamera GTS, or Merc E63 is extremely not well suited for. There are a number of racetracks on the East Coast but none are really big power tracks like the Nurburgring where I can use a 700hp (modded) Sedan to it's full potential. This makes the GT4 even more appealing. It's almost 300lbs lighter than than a 991 GT3 and doesn't have as much horsepower a lot of the competition out there, which is great because on trafficky urban streets and highways and smaller racetracks of the East Coast, horsepower is simply not a usable consumer good. Can the GT4 be a daily driver, I think so, the suspension setup shouldn't be drastically different from the Cayman GTS as far as comfort goes but the biggest concern would be the manual only transmission. If anyone has ever owned a manual transmission as their daily driver and they have to commute in gridlock traffic with it everyday, well then you understand my point. The picture below is what I have to drive in every single weekday. I thank God for the ///M DCT and the fact is that I'm not getting younger either and I'm not so sure my knee could take the constant clutch movement in 5mph traffic. So as a daily driver and only owned car, the GT4 takes a lot of consideration. There's still no info on when production will start I think, but when the times comes, I am seriously going to consider pulling the trigger.
Attached Images