View Single Post
      05-17-2015, 04:07 AM   #1
Curt2000
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '93 Supra Turbo

Thinking About Importing R32 Skyline...

The '89 and now '90 R32 Nissan Skyline GTRs are exempt to the NTSB and EPA standards via the 25 year rule. Under this premise you can now legally import and register these cars for street use albeit a pain in the ass. Undoubtedly there is a 100% chance that whatever poor DMV worker you present the ream of NTSB, EPA, customs, importer, and Japanese documents too will suffer from cranium eruption.

Supposedly the market for R32s is already spiking in Japan since import companies are starting to soak up all the low mileage R32s for sale and coming across the auction block. Even-so they can still be had for under $20k import and shipping fees included.

Another cool aspect is that you can import them fully modded and not have to worry about emissions in any state (besides CA). So you can score a sweet deal on a lot of cool and authentic JSPEC aftermarket parts.

What I'm worried about: Condition of a 25 y/o car that I'm buying sight unseen. You can mitigate that by going through a reputable international importer but there is still very little history since there are only a handful that have been imported under this new rule.

Another thing to consider is the lack of U.S. Market history and comparisons for banks and insurance companies to confidently loan and insure these cars.

I'm unfamiliar with what type of gas these cars have seen throughout their life, and especially if Im importing one with some performance parts and tune, I'm afraid it may not like the crap 91OCT ethanol blend here in Vegas. I'm also worried about finding a shop that can tune the car and/or trouble shoot in the event that something is not running right. I suppose there are plenty of drifter/import focused shops that have worked on RB26's in town but since its a much different scene I guess Im just worried about the unknown.

So bottom line, I want to do it...its a fairly low buy-in cost to get a really cool and rare car that will probably appreciate in value once they start becoming scarce/expensive in Japan due to the export draw. But just like any other used car from whereabouts unknown there is the obvious risk of it having serious issues and becoming a money pit. For this reason would you guys rather try to find a completely stock and un-molested example or would you try to get a slightly modded offering? With R32 GTR parts being very rare in the states and expensive I'm leaning towards the latter because there is no way I could leave a RB26 stock

Some R32 GTR Pics for your viewing pleasure and consideration...

Former Car: '16 SUNBURST GOLD F80 ///M3--6MT/Carbon Cloth (ED Thread)
Former Car:'13 SANTORINI BLUE E92///M3--6MT/Speed Cloth/ZCP(ED Thread)
INSTAGRAM:@C2KMotorsports

Last edited by Curt2000; 05-17-2015 at 05:09 AM..