View Single Post
      03-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #88
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdss6 View Post
I drove down for the first two public days of the Geneva show, with a request from one of my colleagues for a full report on the Active Tourer. However, for the public days both of the show cars were kept behind a wall, nose on to the public, and not even on a turning mount to see all sides. I appeared from a distance that the interior was indeed high quality. But there was no opportunity to evaluate space, driving position, or visibility. I left appropriate feedback. With the BMW reps, not my colleague, since I could tell him almost nothing useful. Luckily for me the cars I'm interested in were wide open for a good close inspection (even if the paint selections were poor).

This sounds very promising indeed. But I hope it will not be used to make bigger cars with more equipment that end up the same mass as their predecessors. There was previously lot of talk about reduced weight as higher end cars became increasingly aluminum intensive. But instead of absolute weight reductions, it became "comparably equipped" (and almost all the extra equipment was standard). Talk is that the CFRP intensive cars will have significantly lower overall mass. I really really hope that is true. If so, then that will be good news for enthusiasts. Given what BMW has achieved reducing total mass of the M3/M4, I'm confident BMW will deliver some absolute reduction. The open question is what ballpark % reduction is "significant?" Thanks
Did you ask the stand attendants to have a closer look?
They would have let you and shown you the features of the new car.
The Gran Tourer with extended wheelbase and seating for 7 will be unveiled in the next couple of months.

There will be another innovation day later this year which will show (essentially the new 7er) and the areas of weight reduction. BMW have also previously confirmed through Research and Development chief Herbert Diess that a 730d will weigh the same as the current 520d F10 model and that the new 7er will be the most technically advanced BMW to date.