View Single Post
      02-24-2022, 06:39 PM   #13211
Terry989
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2019 X1 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
I am already retired, so the 600 f4 is not currently on my horizon unless I inherit something or go back to work

Well, you now how these things go...I went to the store intending to buy one lens and came home with two

I first bought the Tamron 70-180mm f2.8 to use for my close bird feeders. After looking at some of last years shots there were plenty in the 200mm range for it to be useful. At half the cost of the Sony 70-200 version, the 20mm difference is not important to me, especially as I will probably leave this glass on my A7R4. At 61mp you can crop pretty generously.

Then I made the mistake of glancing in the used cabinet, and saw a Sony 135 f1.8 GM. According to Roger Cicala over at Lensrentals it is the sharpest lens they have ever tested. It was a good price and the lens looked brand new, so I took that one home with me too.

Again using the crop, I will have an effective 200mm prime fov @24 mp, so I am looking forward to using this one. Also I just joined the local botanical gardens so I will be able to get in for photographers hours this spring and summer and this lens should be great for flowers, funghi etc...
Both of those are really nice lenses. The GM 135 is a killer lens that is sharp from f/1.8, with quick and accurate focus, and I nice rendering. Enjoy.
Itsed652608.50