View Single Post
      09-18-2022, 09:17 PM   #70
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
The link I provided was for a Tesla Roaster, it was all I could find for a direct real world quote in under a few minutes of googling. So the comparison isn't going to be 1:1. Understandably, it's not a very good example. But I did find this:

60kwh battery replacement for $35k in 2013 . So that's $583/kwh or $707/kwh in 2021 dollars.

The Tesla 100kwh battery replacement in this thread costing $26k is $260/kwh. So that's 63% cheaper than what it cost per kwh in 2013. Is this more or less wrong than your claim that it is NOT getting cheaper?

The graphs I provided is for cost of the battery itself, and does not, to my knowledge, include ancillary parts, labor, and distribution expenses that are involved in replacing said batteries in existing customer cars. It was merely to show that the overall cost is down significantly.
The 2013 example in the OP was not a 100KW battery, that wasn't even available at the time. If it were a 60KW battery, which was available in 2013, the cost reduction is 20% in 10 years. Your chart/facts shows about 800-1000% predicted. Which one of us is off more?

Overall cost to replace a battery is not down significantly. Profits for some manufactures may be up though, I won't argue that.

At the end of the day, it costs tens of thousands to replace in almost all brands/models. Let the buyer beware. If you buy an EV car today and need a battery in 8 years, you will be buying a part that is at least 8 years old - aka antiquated. It will cost more than current production costs because of that.