View Single Post
      06-27-2022, 02:38 PM   #10
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingi View Post
I guess they will handle it like Mercedes is doing it, take the liability while the system is active. Mercedes beat BMW for this one as I mentioned in another post: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?t=1920742. And Teslas System is L2 anyway, so not comparable at all (and imo worse than Mercedes'/Audis/BMWs current offering of driver assistance systems, the only difference is its unlocked in all situations which makes it even worse).

As a warning for people hoping to have an almost level 4 experience with no interaction needed on the highway, I don't think that will happen. Mercedes' solution only works in traffic jams up to 40mph and from what I've heard BMW is aiming for 50mph.
I agree, until there is a defined regulatory framework, manufacturers will indemnify while the system is active. Hopefully they do do what Tesla is allegedly doing and once a crash is immenent; deactivate and cla it was the driver. NHTSA has an open case against Tesla and this allegation.

Tesla's system is flawed from the word go. It has vision only and it's a total of eight cameras; two on each side, three front facing and one rear. All cameras are needed for system functionality and they are non redundant. Tesla will never be able to offer hands off driving.

BMW, Mercedes, GM/Cruise, Ford, Lucid, Fisker and others do or will offer some soft of hands free ADAS this year.

Mercedes is showing Level 4 using Nvidia platform. It's in a S class equivalent offered MY2024.