View Single Post
      08-13-2019, 05:39 PM   #17
FCobra94
Rep
n/a

Drives:

Read this article recently and thought it was relevant to the discussion:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...ade-2019-08-08

My current home will be paid off in ~10 years and hoping to rent it at that time (or possibly sooner). Would love to find some investment properties in the meantime near my area (since I'd like to manage the property myself as well) but everything is so stinkin expensive around here. As a fellow mentioned above, good luck finding a detached home for a reasonable price, that isn't a complete tear down.

A friend of mine has had great luck finding, fixing, AirBNB renting during peak season, and then selling properties closer to the beach (OC Maryland) over the last year or so, but he lives there so it's easier for him to both facilitate that process as well as have his ear to the ground for emerging opportunity.

Have more than a few aunts/uncles around the way that own/rent out 5 or 6 properties each, but the cost during the time that those places were acquired (late 70s) provided much better opportunity to amass multiple properties in a relatively short amount of time...new construction at the time could be had for ~$50k. Those same, barely renovated, homes are on the market now for ~$500k. Inflation and interest rates aside, that large of a gap makes it almost impossible to own a modest primary residence while also trying to afford an opportunity in the investment sector in my area.