View Single Post
      08-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Real Estate

We've got a group of smart folks here on the forum, and I was surprised to see there wasn't a real estate discussion (at least not that I found). Who on here has purchased land as an investment? Maybe a future retirement spot? What percentage of your gross income does your primary mortgage account for? How do we feel about the current market and its somewhat-immediate future? Prices in Tallahassee seem to have skyrocketed in the past few years for example - selling for 50% more than they did just a couple years ago in some instances - makes a current buyer uneasy.

I sold my home a few years back in Atlanta and we have been renting while we figure out what we want on a personal and career level as well as where we want to be. We've since relocated to the panhandle of Florida and ramped up the decision to buy as we intend to be here for the next five-ish years. We have been thinking to buy a cheaper home here with little money down and use our cash to invest into a lake property in the North Georgia / Tennessee / North Carolina / South Carolina triangle as a place to vacation and park our cash. No clue if it's smart, but it feels right. Trying to be pragmatic. 401k company match is maxed, about six months worth of expenses stashed in case something hits the fan...ready to put the extra into something more tangible and then start the college fund up for the kids that don't exist.

Not intending this thread to be an "answer ME" thread but more of an open discussion. Certainly welcome any feedback, but what have others done? What has been your recipe? What mistakes have you learned from?

Cheers,
Tyler