04-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #332
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Not bad at all for the city. To be honest, it looked like even more from the pictures out the back from the floor to ceiling windows, though of course I can't judge property lines.

We don't live in the city, so we are on a 2.2 acre lot, but I figure at least half, maybe more is wooded. And I just spoke to the guy who apparently is buying the 55 acres we (and all my neighbours) back onto, and he seems like a nice enough guy. He was enquiring whether some of my neighbours would be interested in purchasing some of the land to add to their own property since he doesn't need it all, which I suspect they would be interested.

And I would be very interested in purchasing (or even better, having my neighbour purchase who I know is interested) this little 33ft swath of property in between us, which this new guy will own. If we can get that, we can block all access to our private road, and keep things the way they are.
We are 15 minutes drive (at least the way I drive) from a decent sized city, so I feel like we have the best of both worlds.

If you plan this as your last place, get as much of the land that he is offering if you are in the position to do so and your neighbors as well.

We are in a similar situation now although we're only on about an acre. We planned this to be our last place as we were in a nice area with access similar to you. We live on what was the last, back street in our neighborhood. Had a piece of property behind us that ran the entire length of the street that was about 35 acres wooded. Been that way for 30+ years.

Last year whoever owned it sold it....and they subdivided and started throwing in roads and building houses on 1/2 acre lots fitting in as many as they could. They sold so quickly! The last house they installed at the ending of the first street sold for about $15K more than the first one.....and they are basically the same house.

Now they are almost 3 more streets in, and building like crazy. So much more commotion and traffic now....and it looks like we will be looking to move now that we are empty nesters.

It doesn't bother me as much as it does my wife as she grew up on almost 100 acres in a farm setting.

I thought we would retire here, so we had done quite a bit of work to our house.

Only saving grace is that our house is pretty much the biggest in the neighborhood with the largest yard. So our property value is climbing rapidly due to comparable home sales.

Bad news is that it is our last expense we owe, and although we will walk away with quite a bit of equity.....anything like what we have now is going to eat that up very quickly.