View Single Post
      09-24-2022, 11:46 AM   #166
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
At this time i would agree we are not near a replacement of aviation fuel yet and that yet is closer then we think in terms of developing an potential long range ev aviation i don't think that is not to far away if we look at air planes and their routes now i am not talking about military aviation, but regular aviation, they have fixed points to and where from there is really no "custom" routes in a way as we have with cars where what if i want to take a detour with my car can i do it?

Now think a couple of years ahead we are seeing battery tech develop rather quickly and we are talking about a development rate of every 5 years we are doubling the capacity of batteries while reducing its weight at the same time. Also charging times is being improved a lot but an air plane on fixed route between New York to London witch is about 3500 miles think its like 3400 or so but lets say 3500.

Look at the Mercedes that drove 626 miles i don't think we are very far of with aviation that gets us in to the transatlantic space where we have about 3500 miles but shorter in truth.

The Air plane takes of from JFK to Heathrow Air port fully charged just as today's air planes are fully fuelled but they always can charge the air plane to 100% even with isn't a fully booked flight and then lands at Heathrow airport with what maybe 10% battery left charges up their and then back again because air ports will be able to accommodate such chargers that this will be viable.

So i disagree with your assessment here that the only logical way is to keep going with combustion engines, it aint. But for now they are and should still be with us.

When it comes to CO2 we can have discussions about it if you want and how good it is for our environment or bad, but then again i would never think of starting the car in a closed environment like a garage and sitting there as history has shown us that is rather dangerous, and shouldn't be done, earth is like a gianormous garage if we keep pumping out this huge amount of c02 more then the planet and all of its plants everywhere can handle including the oceans then i am most certain we are going in for a very bad time other then the warming of the globe.

What a normal average buyer doesn't want a car that looks better then the prius? But doesn't care to much about the engine? For example between January 2021 to 2022 in Sweden the most sold car was the Volvo XC40 with the 1,5 l T3 engine, Aint those average buyers?

US most sold cars we are talking about cars and not vehicles the best selling so far between January and August 2022 in the US is the Toyota RAV4 and that aint a performance car and i would almost also be certain that the most people will be choosing the hybrid.

The people on this forums aint the "average" buyer.
Longer distance commercial flights will be using jet fuel for the forseable future. Hydrogen requires installing heavy high pressure tanks which not only includes the weight of the tank, but the reinforcement of the wings/fuselage to carry it, all resulting in far less load capability, not to mention poor efficiency for all the processes involved with extracting, compressing and storing the hydrogen. There is simply nowhere near the battery capacity energy density on the horizon to do this electrically. Neither hydrogen or electric will do these longer distance flights.

But, shorter routes, say 100-maybe even 500 miles, may be the complete opposite. Either as electric only, or with a small engine assist. The reason being that current airliners basically "glide" down from their max altitude and if you can get to FL350, then you can glide back down and using airliner aerodynamics, that's 250 miles or more total right there including the climb. This actually might lend itself quite well to electric or hybrid powerplants. When airplanes "turn around" at the gate, that process is not a 10 minute re-fueling either, it takes significant time to get people off and on. That still leaves a pretty big challenge of charging in a reasonable amount of time, but this could balance out with only having to go to 80% or whatever depending on what the flight requirements are and previous fuel costs where it still may be cost effective to keep it on the ground vs. burning jet fuel. Burning jet fuel is their number one cost.