Captain
Sweden
Rep

Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Long-distance Commercial aviation is always going to determine the availability of gasoline and diesel, and that is the problem for EV. There is no near term replacement technology for jet engines for cost-effective long-distance air flight travel. To distill just jet fuel from a barrel of crude, meaning not producing gasoline and diesel, would require a complete reconstruction of the fractional distillate production process currently in use by the US oil industry and the worldwide industy as a whole. It would be a massive private capital investment and take decades to accomplish. In short, gasoline and diesel as motor fuels will remain available at low cost (excluding taxing schemes).

Despite the efficiencies of the EV drivetrain, it needs a large, heavy lump of chemicals assembled in a complex matrix that is expensive to manufacture and expensive to dispose of once the battery is spent. Diesel has 38kWh of energy for a weight of just 7 pounds. A 85kWh Model S battery weighs around 1200 pounds. You can do the math and see the problem and decide which fuel source makes for a logical choice for on-board storage.

The obvious choice is to improve the efficiency of the ICE drivetrain. The logical path is use of a high-efficiency combustion process to generate electricity for an on-board electrical power source to power EV motors. That engineering path does not disrupt (a) the petrochemical production infrastructure, (b) the ICE charging infrastructure, and (c) the electrical energy distribution infrastructure.

But CO2 is a planet killer. Stop breathing...
At this time i would agree we are not near a replacement of aviation fuel yet and that yet is closer then we think in terms of developing an potential long range ev aviation i don't think that is not to far away if we look at air planes and their routes now i am not talking about military aviation, but regular aviation, they have fixed points to and where from there is really no "custom" routes in a way as we have with cars where what if i want to take a detour with my car can i do it?

Now think a couple of years ahead we are seeing battery tech develop rather quickly and we are talking about a development rate of every 5 years we are doubling the capacity of batteries while reducing its weight at the same time. Also charging times is being improved a lot but an air plane on fixed route between New York to London witch is about 3500 miles think its like 3400 or so but lets say 3500.

Look at the Mercedes that drove 626 miles i don't think we are very far of with aviation that gets us in to the transatlantic space where we have about 3500 miles but shorter in truth.

The Air plane takes of from JFK to Heathrow Air port fully charged just as today's air planes are fully fuelled but they always can charge the air plane to 100% even with isn't a fully booked flight and then lands at Heathrow airport with what maybe 10% battery left charges up their and then back again because air ports will be able to accommodate such chargers that this will be viable.

So i disagree with your assessment here that the only logical way is to keep going with combustion engines, it aint. But for now they are and should still be with us.

When it comes to CO2 we can have discussions about it if you want and how good it is for our environment or bad, but then again i would never think of starting the car in a closed environment like a garage and sitting there as history has shown us that is rather dangerous, and shouldn't be done, earth is like a gianormous garage if we keep pumping out this huge amount of c02 more then the planet and all of its plants everywhere can handle including the oceans then i am most certain we are going in for a very bad time other then the warming of the globe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
I'm talking about the normal average car buying public too. If they wanted a car to get them from A-B and wanted to save the planet while they were doing it, all ICE cars would have a Prius-like drivetrain today. That they don't is the proof of my concept.

The tech has existed in mainstream reliable fashion for over 25 years and was not depending on some as-yet un-invented breakthrough. People quit buying them after those that want that driving dynamic got their fill. It is now discontinued. Most of us have never owned a prius, and there is a reason for that : we don't actually care that much about efficient ICE's when it comes right down to it, and thus they aren't bought, meaning few are made. Manufactures are perfectly capable, and have been for decades.
What a normal average buyer doesn't want a car that looks better then the prius? But doesn't care to much about the engine? For example between January 2021 to 2022 in Sweden the most sold car was the Volvo XC40 with the 1,5 l T3 engine, Aint those average buyers?

US most sold cars we are talking about cars and not vehicles the best selling so far between January and August 2022 in the US is the Toyota RAV4 and that aint a performance car and i would almost also be certain that the most people will be choosing the hybrid.

The people on this forums aint the "average" buyer.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)