gcochard
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Cliffhopper, I think those moon shots were shot at too low of an angle to the horizon, shooting through too much atomosphre, robbing detail. Here one that I shot a week or two ago with moon about 40-degrees above the horizon:

The Canon 500mm f/4L IS is one of the best pieces of glass ever made and I've never heard many good things about inexpensive reflex super-teles, but I would expect more out of the Meade. The low pixel-pitch of my 7D makes it an ideal camera for astrophotography.

Whenever I see an interesting moon and I've got my camera anywhere near, I take a picture. I've tried about two more times since this one and both times got the resulting images looking more like your examples, I think that's due to the moon being low to the horizon. This WILL vary from day to day and smog ebbs and flows.

Dave
My shots were between 9:45 and 10:45 so I'm not sure it was the angle of the moon. It was probably above 40 degrees. More likely I didn't know what I was doing. I think the focus was a little bit off.

I'll be doing more astrophotography in the near future with this d5100 and my dad's d50 for comparison. I will have a better idea of what I'm doing and my focus will probably be a little better.