04-28-2019, 08:05 AM   #35
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Well, I cant claim that I've been repairing cars for 40 years, as I'm not that old, but I have since the mid 90's, so I guess thats 25 years.
Where did I say that repair manuals made caution statements about the lenght of time one can leave a car off its suspension?
I said that they show lots of time to fit a bushing under pretension/torqued with the wheels on the ground.
Ever wondered why?

Ok, we can disagree on that. But when did you ever see for example a MOT station where the inspection was done on 2 posts?
Exactly, the all use 4 posts.
Because its faster. Easier. You do it in 1,5 minutes. With a 4 post or scissor, you simply drive on. Thats it, and thats simply faster than your 1,5 minutes or how fast you think it is.

I also have an asymetric 2 post, and for getting it quick in the air it's just not as good/convenient. But a 2 post has lots of other advantages.
You said "So my guess is that the 50% that say that suspension shouldnt stay extended for prolongued time are probably the 50% that have actually read a workshop manual in their life and have actual hands on experience working on cars." I think that means people who have read a shop manual know it is bad to leave a car on a lift with the suspension hanging vs. people who haven't read a shop manual are the people who don't know better (and presumably damage their suspensions). I'd estimate that my E90 over its 12-year lifetime has spent probably around 10 weeks in total with its suspension hanging (a few stints were over 10 days each) and all but the thrust arm and front lower control arm bushings are original. So I just disagree with your statement based on my direct experience. I do not think it harms the suspension to leave it unloaded for long periods of time. I replaced my original front control arms at 336,000 miles in December of 2017. I still have the old original arms, I'll take a close up pic of the bushings today and show you there are no tears in the rubber isolators. In fact I tested the old arms against the new arms to see how bad the old bushing were vs. the new ones, and I could barely tell the difference.

Plus not all suspension bushings need to have the suspension loaded. Bushings that are located vertically wouldn't.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."