View Single Post
      04-30-2021, 08:34 AM   #88
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I spoke with my current insurance agent. He said that as long as the property is 100% vacant of ANY improvements, my NY State homeowner's policy would cover liability even on out-of-state land. He also said that something as trivial as a utility pole outside the boundaries of the road right-of-way and shoulder easements was enough to negate this coverage, and suggested that I check everything carefully.

A quick trip to my search engine du jour revealed several anecdotal posts about insurance companies refusing to pay out on special vacant land policies because of minor things. One case was a small abandoned underground locker, and another one involved an ancient house foundation. Would someone else installing a duck blind or tree stand for hunting void the coverage? Heck, does the real estate agent's for sale sign count as an improvement?

If I were you, I would check with your insurance agent to see if those "no trespassing" signs count as a man-made improvement and void your coverage. I'm also curious if the "purple paint law" is also verboten, if your state has it on the books.

At some point in the past, someone dropped a culvert pipe into the roadside ditch to facilitate a future driveway at the lot I've got under contract. I have enough fear that this could void my "vacant" liability coverage that I'm going to reach out to a SC insurance agent and see what non-vacant coverage will cost me.

On a side note, a relative of mine received a $32,000 bill from the forest rangers in another state for extinguishing a small forest fire that they claimed originated on that relative's vacant wooded lot. I'll gladly pay for extra insurance.....
I'm with you, the extra $ for extra security is so worth it. I'm already in violation of the "no structures" clause, IMO, because the property is surrounded by fencing. Little neighborhood Billy could scale that fence, fall, and break his little neck. Not going to mess about with that. Its on my "to do" list. for sure.
vreihen1615134.50