06-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #5627
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
I agree with what you've said here and will just point out the irony that we seem to be looking at everything in the past through today's lens rather than in a contextual light, and that's true of sexual conduct, political decisions etc and for that were taking down statues and trying to re-write or erase history. None of which is really a good idea IMHO.
On statues I disagree. The statues at issue are current reminders to whole ethnic groups that they were treated as second class citizens in their own country. It isn't about re-writing history, nor is about not understanding the individual in the context of the times. A statue represents a current glorification of the individual and aspects of their beliefs that are abhorrent to us today. A black person seeing a statue of Jefferson Davis has a modern day reaction. Is it appropriate that we glorify through visible and public reminders to that black person their historical status? That is an entirely different context and that's the proper framework for discussion.