Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I think a BMW can easily hit that 200k mark if you take care of it... the issue being not really the mileage but the age. This is irrelevant to what car make it is.

I drive 8-10k miles a year... let's say i even drove 15k miles... that would take me over 13 years to hit 200k miles... by that time, no amount of maintenance can prevent the wear time does on a car including but not limited to potential rust, paint fading, seals going bad, dashboards / leather cracking etc... I personally don't want to deal with that for that long and I don't want to be in the same exact car for that long when newer, better and often more reliable options inevitably show up in the market. That's not even including the tech factors that show up such as apple car play etc that completely change the driving experience. I couldn't imagine a car without it now.

Often when I hear folks talk about I did 200k / 300k on my car... my first comments are but where in the world are you driving this much and you are also now in a 20 year old car in a world where vastly superior options exist.
Vastly superior options??? 👎🏻

Do you dump your girlfriend or wife because a hottie with a fabulous body appeared and you were attracted to her? ☹️

IMHO, you should keep a car no matter how many miles it has been driven as long as it satisfies your needs, you really enjoy driving it and it doesn’t have too many expensive maintenance issues. 👍🏻

I owned a 1994 325i convertible for 7 years, it had 44,000 miles and was trouble free. The used car manager at the dealer where I traded it in told me he was buying it for his wife. 😉

I owned a 2001 CLK430 cabriolet for 3 years and didn’t love driving it so it was time for a change. 👎🏻

I replaced it with a 2004 CLK500 cabriolet which wasn’t vastly superior except it had a new body style and didn’t suffer from the blind spots that the CLK430 had. I absolutely loved driving it and kept the car for 17 years. It only had 37,000 miles when I sold it and the only major issue I ever had were the hydraulic rods for the soft top that leaked and had to be replaced. 👍🏻

I sold the CLK500 when I fell in love with the G29 body and purchased a 2022 M40i which has been a dream and I can see myself driving it for many years. Especially because the B58 engine and ZF8 transmission are a perfect combination and most importantly it is a very sexy roadster which is a blast to drive. 😎
Efthreeoh17401.00
Hoody0071335.50