View Single Post
      07-19-2008, 03:01 AM   #82
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
First off, you need to do research. find out what the stock market exactly is and how it operates, when it operates, and who operates it. Then, like aforementioned, find a broker. Scottrade is decent - I use that. Mainly look for gimmicks like free this, but our fees are like hell. Scottrade is not bad, you get 3 free trades from a referral (refer me and we both get 3 free trades) and after that it's $7 a trade (buy or sell).

Quick 101 for stocks:

Market opens at 9:30AM EST 8:30 CST
Market Closes at 5:00PM EST 4:00PM CST

Basic rules of market supply/demand

You buy a share, you own a % of the company. If enough people buy it, the share will go up. Once you sell the share, you will get Sell price - Buy price = Gross Profit but then you have to subtract fees so gross - fees = net profit.

Example:

Buy a share at $10, it goes up to $20 in a week (that's 100% increase, VERY rare) and you sell at the end of the week. Your fees are 3$ per trade, so this is your profit

$20-$10 = $10 - 2x3 (3 for buy and 3 for sell) = $4

now if you have bought two shares, it would've been $20-6$ = 14$

Basically, doesn't matter if you buy 1 share or a 1000 shares, that price per trade is fixed.

There is something else called shorting which is basically betting that the stock will fall. more complicated but sometimes well worth the risk - read up!

and good luck! It's a wild ride out there, make sure you know if it's bear or bull (I believe we're in a bear market right now)

Eh, I've seen resistance for apple stock at 184 most of the time and support after it falls at 171-174ish....

it's a gamble because the market is fluctuating so damn much!
From Yahoo Finance..
Apple (AAPL) shipped 1.4 million computers in the US during Q2, representing 8.5% market share and 38% year-over-year growth. Mac shipments grew 9 times faster than the overall U.S. PC market (4.2%) in Q2.......

combined with IPHone sales next QTR doesn't look bad